PATCHOULI OIL ORGANIC - Pogostemon cablin
Botanical name: Pogostemon cablin
Part used: leaves
Method: Steam distillation
Colour: golden brown, darker with age.
Consistency: medium to thick
Perfumery note: base.
Aroma: Rich, earthy, woody, musky, becoming richer and smoother with age.
- Patchouli is available as either light or dark.
- Light Patchouli is distilled in stainless steel vats, which gives it a lighter colour than the dark which is distilled in cast iron.
- This has a very slight effect on the scent.
- Well known as the scent of India as Patchouli was used as a moth repellent on their fabrics.
- It is an effective general insect repellent.
- Patchouli is an oil used for both skin and hair, it is considered to be healing, strengthening and balancing.
- Used topically it is anti-fungal and antibacterial, and acts as an anti inflammatory, so soothes gout and rheumatic pain.
- Patchouli is used in aromatherapy to alleviate stress, anxiety and depression.
- It is believed to stimulate hormone production, so is therefore considered an aphrodisiac, affecting both men and women.
- This oil is a general tonic, but use sparingly as the aroma is very strong, some people find it unpleasant.
Mostly a safe oil but be aware that it may inhibit blood clotting.
Your premium supplier for Essential Oils, Sprouting Seeds and Natural Flea Control in South Africa.