CAROTENE OIL – Daucus carota
Botanical name: Daucus carota
Part used: dried seed
Method: Steam distillation
Colour: pale yellow.
Perfumery note: Middle
Aroma: Earthy, woody, sweet, fairly strong smell.
- The oil is extracted from the seeds of wild carrots, and is used for both skin care and in aromatherapy.
- Used on the skin it is healing, rejuvenating, particularly good for mature and damaged skin.
- Added to a massage oil it is used for lymph drainage, helping to detoxify the system.
- Carrot seed oil will also ease muscle pain, benefit the liver, and is antiseptic and anti viral.
- Used in vapour therapy carrot seed oil is calming, will aid the liver, digestion and respiratory tract.
Main chemicals are A-pinene, B-pinene, sabinene, caratol, carotene and limonene.
Carrot seed oil can cause photo sensitization, always dilute and protect area of application from sunlight.
- Do not use if epileptic, it is a stimulant.
- Do not use if pregnant, or on young children.